According to a report by Vanguard Newspapers, on Wednesday, 1 July, 2026, Maduabuchukwu John Okeke, one of the Nigerians evacuated from South Africa to Nigeria, has recounted how a fellow Nigerian was beaten to death during the latest wave of xenophobic attacks, while another returnee narrated losing his family, property and life savings after 12 years of living in the country.
The victims spoke in separate interviews with Vanguard Newspapers after arriving in Nigeria as part of the latest batch of evacuees fleeing attacks targeting foreign nationals in parts of South Africa. Their accounts add to growing concerns over the human cost of recurring xenophobic violence in the country.
Recalling one of the most tragic incidents he witnessed, Okeke, an indigene of Anambra State, said a Nigerian died after being attacked with sticks by a mob.
“One of us passed away yesterday because of this. They were hitting the guy with stick and the guy passed away yesterday.”
Another evacuee described how the violence destroyed everything he had worked for over more than a decade in South Africa.
The visibly emotional returnee said he not only lost his wealth and property but also his wife and son, whose third birthday coincided with the day he was forced to flee.
“I have been in South Africa for 12 years. I lost everything. I lost my money, I lost property, I lost my wife, I lost my son over there.
He is supposed to be 3 years old today. Today is supposed to be his birthday and it's today they are chasing us. South Africa will never see forgiveness in this world.”
Tags:
People