I Told UK Immigration, My Name Is Omar Bashir, From Gambia, And He Said You're An Igbo Man-Christian

Evangelist Chukwuka Christian has shared how his attempt to travel abroad led to a difficult experience that eventually resulted in him spending eight years in prison over a drug-related crime.

Christian made the disclosure while speaking on The Honest Bunch Podcast, where he explained that his troubles began in The Gambia.

According to him, he paid $1,500 for a Gambian passport after travelling there in an attempt to use the country as a route to Sweden. He said he was then asked to change his name and was given the name Omar Bashir.

Christian said he accepted the name because he was desperate to travel. He explained that he even trained himself to respond whenever the name Omar Bashir was called, especially at the airport.

Christian said he later travelled through the airport after paying money to people who helped him cross. However, his journey changed when he arrived in the UK.

He said a UK immigration officer examined his passport and asked him about his name and country of origin. Christian said he identified himself as Omar Bashir from The Gambia, but the officer told him that he was an Igbo man.

According to Christian, he became frightened and resisted being deported. He said he was subsequently locked up, while Gambian authorities maintained that he was a Nigerian who had obtained Gambian identity.

He later spent eight years in prison for a drug-related crime before turning his life around and becoming an evangelist.

In his words, "The immigration officer saw me, I came in, he asked me, I gave him my passport, he looked at it, said, 'What's your name?' I said, 'Omar Bashir.' 

He said, 'Where are you from?' I said, 'Gambia.' He said, 'You're an Igbo man.' That was when my stomach rumbled."


Yoruba

Publisher

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Popular Items